Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The night I missed...an open letter to the St Marians

"Friday night came. I came from work. It rained and the traffic was bad. I was late. Anyway, I was confident Thiru & Rowina will keep Helen & CJ occupied. They had many years to catch up. When I finally got to La Bodega in Bangsar Sopping Complex, the restaurant was packed and dark. As I was walking around, I heard a 'ooi'. The usual greeting from Helen. Loud & clear.
Lai Kuan came next. All hell broke loose. No chance for anyone to be heard. So much so that even her friends could pick out her voice among the noise.Thiru brought our school pics. Priceless. Pics of the various events, trips (Fraser's Hill) etc. The reading glasses gave away our age. Othwerwise, no one would guess we are nearly half a century old.
There was much laughter recollecting our school days. Rowina has a memory of an elephant. She fired away all the happenings. I don't recall much of it. Where was I!I remember going to Mr Lee begging to pass. the fear of going to Ms Subra's classes because I knew nothing .. I don't remember Sakunthala crawling into Subra's class."

The above was an except from an email sent by Kim, describing her fun night out with the St Marians, some of whom I have not met since way back in Form Five!!! I was unfortunately pre-booked and thus unable to join them. Despite that, close to midnight, Lai Kuan called up and demanded that I get my ass down to where they are all happily getting drunk. As I have just gotten home, showered and changed into my comfy pjs, and with like one foot already in bed, I was not letting any wild horses drag me all the way down to Bangsar, much less one half drunk woman screaming in my ear!!! ( Although I do love Lai Kuanvery much) Then everyone seemed to want to have a go at me - Helen was next on the phone but she kept insisting she can't hear me - that woman must be getting deaf in her old age!!! ( Oops- shit, we are the same age!!!) Old Man was next and he was a lot more courteous than the two mad women before him!! Despite all that 'char-ing' and insults, it was good to hear them. Made my day !

There were a few more emails ding-donging to and fro after that evening. Boy, I really regretted not going, appears that they had so much fun. Anyway, there's an open 'appointment' to go karaoke-ing next. I get this weird feeling that everyone is expecting me to organise it :( Is it guilty pangs or is it just my imagination? Anyway, would be super to sing together like we used to in school. No karaoke last time. Just the guitar (occasionally) and Thiru banging away at the desk. I'll try to find a karaoke place that have a desk for banging!!! What a blast! You guys still remember the songs? And the wonderful song books we all have - the homemade ones where we spent so much time and effort copying and decorating?? Mine got thrown away by my Mom while I was in Canada. :( One song in particular got stuck in my mind - 'Try a little kindness' by Herman's Hermits. Coincidentally I was just telling Ryan about it a few days ago when he asked what songs we used to sing and his response was ' what song by Hermit crab'????? But he did google it and found a version by Glen Campbell and surprise surprise, he liked it!

Okay, ladies, practise your 'Country Road' , 'Scarborough Fair', 'El Condo Pasa' and Thiru, don't forget 'Knock three times'!! Till we karaoke away...take care.

Much love from me

1 comment:

  1. lol.. very enjoy reading ur blog..lol.. if possible update more frequent..lol..

    ReplyDelete