Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A cook's tour

Was watching Anthony Bourdain's ' A Cook's Tour' on Astro. He is my very favorite food/travel host and his shows are always so interesting. In this particular one, he goes to Bangkok and Singapore.

But, surprisingly, in Bangkok, he does not showcase any Thai food !!!! Hello....no Thai food in Bangkok???? Instead, he visits a Laotian restaurant where he eats rotten anchovies!!! Urgh..the anchovies are mixed with salt and left to rot for anywhere between 3 months to 1 year. It looks horrid...greyish slushy mush...and it's supposed to smell, too. But Tony, unlike so many Gwailos, took to it like he's been eating it all his life. That's what I like about him..he is so game and adventurous and he is so willing to try anything. Guess that's part of his job . This brings to mind a certain Gwailo I know from my working days. He was here on business from England and I took him for steamboat. It was such a joke, when I asked him if he has had steamboat dinners before, he actually said, ' No, where is it going?' . Gosh, he thought it was a real steamboat!!!Anyway, for us Malaysians, steamboat dinners are no big deal , right? Nothing exotic about it - just put everything to boil. No weird raw stuff, no strange ingrdients. But this guy is so bloody fussy, he hardly touched his food. Seems he only like familiar western food. Now that's a boring visitor.

Anyway, I digress. Coming back to Anthony Bourdain, he further ate deep fried frog skins ( this does look yummy) and also deep fried insects ( this I woulded touch). And surprise surprise, the dessert was going to an Egyptian restuarant for coffee and a sweet pudding!! Interesting...I didn't know there is an Egyptian restuarant in Bangkok.

His next stop was Singapore...hmmm..I wonder why he didn't stop here! I know there was an episode on KL but I never caught it. Anyway, he ate Indian food there, banana leaf dinner with all the works. No big deal, except when he tackled the fish eye from the fish head curry!!! Now I really take my hat off to this Gwailo....hehe...that's why I like him. Any gwailo who eats the stuff I wouldn't eat earns my respect! I myself am a squeamish eater and when some white foreigner eats something I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, he really rates high on my list.

Hmmm...life is really boring these few days...no subject to blog about except pathetic attempts like this..hehe. Anyone eat anything interesting lately???

Bon appetite!

1 comment:

  1. Yes! He's my hero too! He's one cool gwailo, right?

    Actually some fried insects do taste good. I've tried one while I was in China. Scorpion. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete